30 April 2007

Roatan ~ April 05

(Beautiful Island of Roatan)


April 2005 I was able to get on my first international flight and head south to a beautiful island of Honduras. Roatan. Roatan is an island in the Caribbean just off the coast of Honduras. "The Village" is a relief and development program of Friend Ships International.



(The coolest people ever! Ron and Leah)

I had a FABULOUS two weeks there, which I was able to spend on the beach soaking up the sun with my great friends Ron and Leah. Among other thing, they took me zip-lining through the jungle, and then we took a scuba trip with Gary to the claimed second best place in the world to dive. I didn’t think it should qualify for second best; but of course I haven’t been anywhere else except Beaver Lake. The guy we went with, Wolfgang took us to see a sunken ship which was of course the coolest ever and then to explore a cave. I had a great time but found I enjoyed snorkeling more. You're able to see just as much without having to try and equalize your ears.



(Oh yeah baby! Me in my scuba gear.)

The locals hunt Iguanas, so to get them out of the jungle they set it on fire to scare them out. Friend Ships, being the fire department in Roatan, were always having to go and put them out. I was able to go with them several times to help. It was quite an experience and I had a lot of fun. I actually was in such a hurry once that I went in my flip-flops.. That was not a wise idea!

No comments: