10 May 2008

Probably the Best Week of My Life! (by DnA)

Danette: I don’t think I could have planned out a better week if I tried! This was just what I needed, a little R&R.

We had so much fun I can’t even start to tell you all what we did. And I was so excited about drinking a strawberry daiquiri on the beach, but it just wasn’t all I had hoped it to be… My absolute favorite now is a mocha frappuccino (no alcohol). There was this guy pushing around his little ice cream cart ringing his cute little bell and out of the little box he makes the best frappuccino in the whole world. That’s right, better than Starbucks or anywhere else. And it’s beautiful too. Chocolate on the edge of the cup and on the whipped cream, and the best pirouette cookie EVER! And the greatest part is, is there only 20 pesos (2 dollars).

Amanda and I didn’t want anyone to travel all the way to Mexico and miss out on the best coffee in the world, so in-between surfing breaks we walked the beaches selling Ice cream and coffee because our friend couldn’t speak English. The best part of it was that because of Amanda’s Spanish translation, we ended up buying a few locals frappuccinos instead of selling them. We had people laughing, dancing and running from us on the beach. This one couple that was from Colorado celebrating their 60th anniversary couldn’t figure out why we would be in Mexico, on vacation, selling ice cream. We’re making commission right? One girl said she would like coffee if we would buy it for her, and she was shocked when we actually did. You might say we’re not your average tequila drinking beach girls. As we were leaving the beach the couple celebrating their anniversary came up and asked to take our picture. And if it was possible to bottle our laughs to take home as a souvenir.

Amanda: Today was our last day surfing the waves. As I start to write about the awesome waves and wonderful time in Mexico, D is telling me she reserves the right to edit and change all that I write in this blog……..hopefully you will read it in its original version.


When we first started surfing I reassured D she did not need an instructor and that I could teach her all she needed to know. It didn’t take long, as in the amount of time it takes to walk from the rental shop to the water to see that wasn’t the case. I dropped my board in the water and as I was strapping on my ankle strap that has about a ten foot cord on it, the waves came crashing in and my surfboard became a ginormous torpedo that almost cut off both D and Randy’s feet before they even began. They did not follow my same techniques and I was concerned we had gotten off to a bad start. D decided she would be better off watching the locals and following their advice verses mine and soon she was teaching me. With each wave we would stand up on, we would raise our hands up and shout and laugh with happiness. One guy told us we better turn down our fun meter. I think we only turned things up from there.

The second day was a big improvement because we made it to the waves where the big kids or you could also call them the pros surf. The bottom of the ocean isn’t the nice grainy sand, but sharp rocks with barnacles and sea urchins. D surfed more than Randy and I put together and came out of the water with a huge smile and a bloody cut up foot. The sight of her wound scared me away from wanting to surf the big waves over the rocks, but I couldn’t admit that so instead I explained how important it was I work on my tan. Well today was the last day of working on my tan and surfing. I think I over did it a bit….not the surfing, but the tan. I am a nice shade of beautiful red. Today D didn’t even go over to the sandy spot she paddled straight out into the surf over the rocks and all and sat in the middle of the pack of mostly guy surfers. She became friends with everyone out surfing and was even nicknamed Arkansas. She was being cheered on and told several times how brave she was to be out there in the middle of everyone riding the big surf. Randy was out surfing some of the time as well, but neither of us had the same dedication and passion as D. It was a wonderful way to wrap up our surf trip though when at the end of the day we all caught the same wave and rode in together laughing.

No comments: