27 February 2008

Watermelons and Bananas



So, I was a bit discouraged the other day about the gravel pit ministry. I went out to market and bought several watermelons. Christy and I were going to slice them and take them to the ladies the following day. Well, two of them turned out to be the worst thing you had ever tasted in your life. And this left us short handed. Now, I don’t expect to get perfect fruit every time I bring something “home”. But I was disappointed because we were trying to be a blessing to these ladies and the fruit turned out to be bad. Why couldn’t God have made it good fruit?

So anyways, the next day Christy went up to the “garage” and got some bananas that we would take. I think we had about 30. “It’s better to have more, than to not have enough” we said. So as we’re walking up to the site we start seeing these women. Then more, and more, and lots of children and more women. Well over 70 women and children. And we’re like “oh dear God, You have to multiply these bananas, we don’t have enough.”

I think Christy was expecting them to just start growing right there. But I was thinking that as people took them, there would just be more. But we were both saying how we knew without a doubt that God could multiply them.
The second time I was in Haiti I saw where God multiplied the food, so I know that He still does it. So if we have enough faith and do not doubt, God would multiply them, right?

Both of us were like, “we leave it in Gods hands and we believe that there will be enough bananas for everyone.” But instead of handing them out as before, we decided that we would give them to the lady that runs the site.
So after greeting all the ladies and spending some time there, we started to journey home. And on the walk, we were talking about what had happened and were wondering if God was going to multiply the bananas or not. And then we were wondering why we didn’t start handing them out. What was the reason for giving them all to Jennifer?

And what it came down to was, we didn’t want run out. We didn’t want some of the ladies and children to receive bananas and then the other half upset and wondering where theirs were.

So what kind of faith is that? Were we really believing God was going to multiply them when we didn’t want to take a chance on handing them out? I think not.

So, besides taking more fruit, the next time we go to the pit we’re going to pass it out whether it looks as if there’s enough or not. If there’s not enough and God doesn’t want to multiply it, then that is in His hands. I don’t think He needs me to watch His back. He probably had it under control and can look after His own reputation.

No comments: