22 February 2008

Chocolate In Africa!

I have a little story to share with you about some chocolate banana bread…


Mrs. Xross is an 84-year-old American lady that traveled to Nigeria by ship in 1945. Her late husband Mr. Xross and her are the ones who started the xrphanage here and also several of the churches. She is quite an amazing lady with incredible stories.

Every night for supper we go to her house to eat and visit. We rotate cooking duties every other night and Christy and I have managed to be able pull something eatable off when it’s our turn. Except for the desserts; our custard could have killed someone the other night (and yes we served it). But I must say, our plantain pudding was actually a hit.

Well, the very first night I was in Nigeria, we went to Mrs. Xross’ house for supper and besides greeting me, the very next thing she did was to look at me and say, “you’re too thin, if you get malaria you’re going to die!” I was thinking, “Oh Dear God! This lady hates me! I haven’t even been here a day and she already told me I was going to die…”

A month has passed now and she, I believe is still trying to fatten me up. She makes this AMAZING chocolate banana bread! I think it comes straight from heaven and lands directly into her kitchen. But she hasn’t just made it once; she actually makes it quite often. I think it’s because nearly every night before we journey over to her house, Christy and I say a quick little prayer asking God for a piece of CBB (chocolate banana bread). I can’t even tell you how amazing it is! And EVERY time I see it; I am just so thankful and know that the next day will to be okay.
Some nights, Christy and I will get our CBB and we will be so happy and just laughing, I mean teary-eyed laughing. Just the other night Christy had about three bites left on her plate and was like, “wow, I’m so full.” So I reached over with my fork and stabbed all three pieces like I was going to take them. (And at this moment I am bent-over laughing because I can just picture you all with a question mark on your face as you read this and just sit and wonder about me. …I haven’t gone crazy. Really! But I cannot stop laughing!) So anyways, the look on Christy’s face will not soon fade from my memory. She was speechless at first, and then I thought she was going to come across the table for me. She looks at me and is like, “I’m not that full!”

So that’s the chocolate banana bread story and another day in Africa… I just had to share this with you because it makes me smile.

Thank God for chocolate in Africa!

(Mommy Mom, I will make you some when I return in May.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Danette.

I love your hair. Dad said that he can't wait to get some of that banana bread. Sounds yummy! We're glad to see a picture of you, keep putting them on. You look like you're doing fine. We pray for you many times a day and I know that God will keep you safe and in His hands. "No evil shall befall you and no plague shall come nigh your dwelling."

We all love you so much and can't wait for you to come home and tell us all about your trip.

Love Mom and Dad.