27 February 2008

Another Day In Africa

With Jesus everything will be alright…

Whenever I want to go to the Internet or anywhere else, I take a short little walk down the dirt road until I reach the pavement. Then from there wave down a machine (or motorcycle as we call them) and get a ride to my destination. After trying to explain in English where I’m to be going and having no such success. I hop on and hope that the guy will follow my directions as I point them out.

Now, it does say in Thessalonians to pray without ceasing, and this is an area I’m still working on. But can I tell you that when I’m on a machine, I pray like I’ve never prayed before. There are cars that are traveling way to fast, people and other machines all coming at you from every direction. And you are just praying that God will give you one more day to live. It also doesn’t help much that most people have never seen an antifoo (white person) before, so instead of watching the road they are looking at you. The children are so cute though. They yell out “ANTIFOO! ANTIFOO!” and all the kids around come running. They just get so excited and are laughing and laughing. These deep beautiful belly laughs!

So anyways, yesterday as I’m traveling down the road, this car, like every other one on the road, swerves in front of us to miss a pothole. And I once again, think to myself that my short little life is coming to an end. So once again I’m asking God to save me one more time (which He did). And I look over the drivers shoulder at his handlebars and see a sticker. It said, “with Jesus everything will be alright”. It was kind of crazy, like a message from God, saying “don’t stress, you’re in My hands.”

(Can someone tell me if this picture is just dark? Because now that it is on my blog I can hardly see it. Thanks.)

On Saturdays Christy and I walk to the next village over and play soccer with the kids. You cannot even imagine what kind of a crowd two antifoo can draw. It’s pretty amazing.
So last Saturday when we arrived at the little field, and were a bit shocked to see only five kids playing ball. I’m not sure how news travels around here, but 15 to 20 minutes later there were about a hundred children. They just love it when we come; it’s all of them against Christy and I. And all the adults come out to watch and cheer Christy and I on. Even people passing by on their machines stop to watch, we all just have a great time.

2 comments:

Joshs_Rebekah said...

Hey Beautiful!

The picture is just dark...

Rebekah

Anonymous said...

Hey Girl,
I could see the picture really good. Its of people in a field like they are playing a ball game. I love reading your blogs! You are sooo funny!! I can only imagine the scary yet exciting feeling you get when you are on a machine! Wow! You are a braver girl than I am!! Atleast I know how to pray more specifically for you!! lol!!
So your message on my blog made me smile. I miss you so much!! Being here and seeing all the same sites that you and I traveled together makes me remember so many good times! I went to Ashdod beach but didn't see the ship/night club that we were going to take over, but I didn't walk down far enough to look for it. I will check it out the next time I am there.
And believe it or not, I have not had a nok-out bar yet!! I have been craving on since before I came, but I have not seen the same ones that we used to eat before, so I am waiting so I can have my perfect one! But I have had a Falafel and I have to tell you it was the most amazing thing, ever! I wish I could send you one!!! Girl, it is just not the same without you here. I miss you so much, you have no idea!! I still look at our stars whenever its not cloudy and say a prayer of thankfulness for your friendship, and then a prayer for God to protect you. I am glad you are protected and God has given you little reasurances that you are in His hands. Love you so much girl!!