18 February 2008

One Month Later ~ February 08

(See, I really do like children. I just don’t have the patience yet to deal with them for days on end.)

Well, I’ve sat down now about 20 times to write this update. And every time I do, I feel as though it must be discarded because it makes absolutely no sense at all. I’m having a really difficult time trying to figure out what stories are appropriate to have online and also which part of my journey I can talk about without scaring everyone back home.
I feel that my family would probably better receive the stories I do have to share when I am no longer here. But praying for God to grant me another day to live doesn’t just happen to be a once-in-a-while occurrence.

It’s the 14th of February today and nearly a month has gone by since my arrival here in Nigeria. It seems as though I’ve been here a lifetime; but then at the same time it feels like I’ve just arrived.

I’m on my way to Xbuja now; and if I had changed my flight to go home on the 15th of February, this is the exact same day and same trip I would have been making. But I’m on my way now to extend my visa for another three month. Of course I have mixed feelings and wonder if I should have brought my luggage along just in case. But once again, God has given me just enough strength to continue on. I’m glad that He cares enough about me to give me trials that I can’t handle on my own.

I was hoping Amanda would be here by now, but as it’s looking she may not come for another month or so.
In the states we have our “DnA of God” ministry, so while she’s not here, Christy’s filling in for her. It’s basically random acts of kindness and living by example. Just trying to show God’s love by loving others.



Just down the road from us, there are about twenty ladies that are out working in this huge gravel pit, digging with picks and sifting out the sand to make these piles of gravel they’ll sell for 200 naira (less than 2 dollars). The weather here is unbelievably hot, and they’re moving all this gravel around with buckets. When I first walked out to this site, I couldn’t believe my eyes! It looked like a concentration camp you would see in a movie. But this is real life! The picture you see now or the words I’m attempting to write can’t even start to tell the story. Every time I go there I’m just shocked at what I see. Ladies working while they carry their children on their backs and ladies just like your grandmother, all out there with a pick and a bucket. I cry just thinking about the struggle for survival here. How hard these ladies are working just to feed their children. Christy and I go down there every once in a while to bring fruit or something and to hopefully give them a little encouragement for that day. But it seems like such a small thing when you look at the whole country of Nigeria, and then all of Africa. I wonder what kind of difference a piece of fruit is actually going to make. And a lot of the time I think “why bother? What can one person actually do? The need here is just so great.”
But then I’m reminded of the story of the “little boy and the starfish”. How thousands of starfish had remained on the beach after high tide and a little boy was throwing them back into the water. A man comes along and is like, “are you kidding me child? Look at all these starfish; they’re as far as the eye can see! You can’t possible make a difference here!” But the little boy reaches down and picks another starfish up and tosses him back into the sea, and he looks at the man and says, “I made a difference for that one.”
I know that I can’t change the world; I can’t save all the children in the world or feed all the hungry. But I want to make a difference in one persons life today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you didn't take your bags with you. You are still in our prayers and we know that you will come another step closer to being Jesus not just to the children but to all of the people of Nigeria. I wonder what God has planned for you that you need to learn without Amanda being there, and the stories that you will have to tell her when she does arrive.

Murray

Joshs_Rebekah said...

Oh Danette!

You make me cry, I am SO happy for you! You are learning - STILL!!! I am so happy that you are willing to let God teach you - even if it feels like the hard way!

I honestly can't think of another thing to tell you. I am SO proud of you and what you are doing in Africa!

By the way, the smile on your face as you show the kids the picture seemed genuine - such a beautiful HAPPY smile!

I love you, Danette!

Rebekah

Can't look aat Orion without saying good night, or is it good morning to you!

Anonymous said...

Yay, that picture of you is sooo cute!!! I have to admit that I am running out the door so I didn't actually read the blog yet, but I will, and I wanted to write to you even if it was just a quick note to say that I love and miss you so much, and I was soo happy to read your comment on my blog!! I will write more later, ok? Just wanted to make sure you didn't think I forgot about you. Thanks for the encouragement. Love you so much!!
~Debi

Anonymous said...

Danette, I just have to say that you are an amazing writer.. I feel like I am right there in your stories, ready to laugh or cry with you. I am soo proud of you and your attitude, and love how you try to honor God in your actions no matter how difficult the situation you face. I miss you so much and wish you were here with me to laugh with me or cry with me. Love you chica!!! Be blessed!!