20 January 2008

Nigeria ~Jan 08


Day 2 in Africa and already I have a story to share. I can imagine this trip will be anything but uneventful.

After meeting up with Bill and Christy in London two days ago, we landed in Xbuja, Nigeria at about 0500 on the 17th (2300 on the 16th central time). After making the six-hour drive to Xnyigba, we arrived safely at our destination.

I slept the rest of the day and that night away trying to get rid of the jetlag from the three days of travel. When I awoke that morning about 0715 I wondered what the day would hold.

Well, let me tell you…

I got out of bed and spent the morning talking with Christy and my new friend Mercy. Around 1100 we decided to walk to the market so we’d have some food for the week. We picked up some rice and fruit and I mentioned that I wanted to get some bread, so Mercy took us to a place that actually made fresh bread. It was still part of the market, but a little way from the crowd. On the way up the hill this guy was yelling at Bill and had his arms around him, we weren’t quite sure what he wanted so Christy and I kept walking. This other guy came up and managed to shoe him away… Away to me anyways. He grabbed my arm and was still yelling, I have no idea what he was saying because it wasn’t English or Xgalla, not that I would have under stood him if it were Xgalla anyways. But none of the Nigerians knew what he was saying either.

So, after that was over with, I buy my bread and am waiting on change, but I start to feel a little dizzy. (When I left Pennsylvania it was in the 20’s and snowing and now here in Nigeria it’s 80-90 degrees and I hadn’t eaten or drank anything all day. And I just found out I was overdosing on my Doxicyc for malaria, the doctor I went to in America had no idea what she was talking about.) So I lean up against this pole and have my hands behind my back hanging on to it, thinking to myself, “this will go way. I never pass out, except for that time on the American Star Cruise ship, and if I don’t walk for a bit I’ll be fine.” Well, my mistake was as I’m told, is letting go of the poll to receive my change… …Face first I go into the concrete. I had no idea what happened until Bill had me on this mattress telling me to say something. I felt something hard in my mouth… A tooth… Or a piece of a tooth I should say. I remember sticking it in my purse, seeing Christy on the ground and then I was out again.

Christy tells me that she dropped to her knees and is praying for God to resurrect me, and wondering how she’s going to tell my parents I died on the second day.

It’s kind of hard to tell a story when you really don’t know what happened, but some nice Nigerian guy drove us “home” and It’s been pretty calm proceeding “the day at the market”.
So I have a broken and a loose tooth, and thank God it wasn’t my front ones! I don’t know how that worked out, but I am so happy I don’t have to be toothless from here on out. I have a nice deep cut on my chin, but that will just be a great story opportunity for life, and I’m trying to clean my cuts so they don’t get infected. (Thanks dad for sending the big bottle of Peroxide and the expandable pill sized towels =). They’ve been wonderful!) Christy says, “didn’t I tell you to watch out for cuts while you’re here?!” We just laugh and wonder what the next four months will hold. I can barely open my mouth, but in a couple of day’s I’ll be as good as new!

I’m still embarrassed. As it is, I already stick out being white, but now everyone at the market is going to remember me for life. Dumb American can’t stand the heat… I don’t know what it is about starting something new and passing out, but this has got to stop!

Just know that I am perfectly fine! But as you can tell, you’re prayers will be much appreciated.
I am at the school with Bill and Christy now and will head out to the xrphanage in Xtutulu on Monday. I’ll try to keep you all updated on any exciting adventures.

7 comments:

Craig & Jennifer Pratt said...

We are excited to hear about all of your adventures. We will definitely keep you in our prayers.
The Pratts

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, Danette! I am so glad you are ok!! WOW, so the adventure begins as soon as you arrive!! I can't wait to hear how the Orphanage is going. I'll keep praying for you! Love you so much!
Mocha

Just Juli said...

Wow Nette,
Seems like you've had an interesting couple of days! i can't wait to here more!
I love you and you're always in my daily prayers .

Ps. cody,cameron,randy & matthew say hello..


JustJuli

Anonymous said...

Dat guy was a prophet and was speaking in tounges.
Translation:
Beware of bread, you cannot live by bread alone, you will have Abuja vision and Booya! you will chip toof!

I told you to listen and learn from the locals...

Sorry your genesis in the cradle of civilization was not the garden of Eden.

May the land of milk and honey rise to meet you in your coming in and going out.
I don't know what this means, but my cat told me to write it so I trust you will be able to interpret the wisdom within.

You have been in my prayers (maybe that's the problem) and will continue to be. Hope things are getting better.

Let me know if you need anything, and keep us informed.

Byte you later...since you can't

Anonymous said...

By the way, did you know that if you Google "Otutulu"...Miss Bjornstad pops up?
No kiddin

Byte you later

Danette Ann said...

ozarkobie... Who are you?

Anonymous said...

Danette-
Keep up the good work. We prayed for you at monday night prayer last night and will continue to do so. Do you have your malaria prescription figured out? Ty wants to know. Love ya, Joi