31 May 2007

A Bench in Baltimore ~ May 07

So the question is...

As a Christian am I supposed to give money to everyone who asks?


(Beautiful souls in Baltimore)

As I sat on a bench in Baltimore and watched people pass by with their children, families, boyfriend or even their dog; I couldn't help but wonder how many of them loved God? How many of them have even heard of Him before? And I sat and wondered, what am I doing about it? I want to be a missionary in a foreign land, yet I can't even help the ones walking by or around me. I wonder why I even decided to sit on that particular bench and offer a smile to the ones I did. I wonder if God had put me there for a special purpose or I just happened to sit there for no apparent reason. I'm sitting there with four dollars in my pocket and an empty Starbucks cup which once was a Java Chip Frappuccino.

A lady comes and asks me for money to get supper, she says it's already eight o'clock and I haven't eaten yet. I look at her with my apologetic look and say the first thing that comes to mind when a person ask that question... ...Sorry, I don't have any money... Now yes I am speedily depleting any funds I do have at the moment. I want to make a trip to Idaho to see my best friend Amanda, but I also need that same money to fly back out to the east coast to the ship I will be working on this summer. So the big dilemma was, do I pay $3.52 for the coffee or do I save it to put towards my trip(s)? Of course the flesh won and what difference is three dollars really going to make towards a flight that is probably going to cost around six or seven hundred dollars? So there I am sitting on the bench having spent the $3.52 on the coffee I really didn't need, and tell the lady I have no money... Obviously this was the wrong answer because I do have money and it was nothing more than a lie. So, I really want to know, am I supposed to give money to every one that asks?


1 comment:

roybj said...

Danette, I can't believe you lied to that poor woman. I thought I raised you better than that!:)Pops